Snail Mail: How to Create a Themed-Letter (& Stick to it!)


If you're like me, you like seeing those letters where everything is just coordinated, whether it be by colour or just a particular theme in general.  And if you're really, really like me, you also find it hard to stick to a particular theme when doing a letter. Before, when I used to try my hand at a themed-letter, I only ended up making the letter a non themed-letter as much as possible. But by following these fool-proof steps, I was able to create themed letters...and stick to them!

1. Decide on a theme.
This may seem like the easiest step. but sometimes it can get very difficult deciding on a theme, especially when you have 1000 ideas of themes you'd like to try.  I think colour themes are the easiest on deciding, whether it be a single solid colour, different hues of the same colour or a combination of 2-3 colours.  The more complicated themes are those with patterns or a particular subject.  Some themed letters you could try are: any solid colour which could be your penpal's favourite colour, pink and gold (really cute combination...hellooo current blog colours?), any 3 pastel colours, patterns such as floral, chevron, animal print or a specific subject theme such as Valentines' Day, Christmas, Summer etc.

2. Gather your supplies.
Now that you've got your theme in mind (remembering that you're going to stick to it), it's time to choose your supplies. Let's say we're going to create a pink themed-letter. We're going to look through all our craft supplies and pick out our pink washi tapes, pink scrapbook paper, pink watercolours, pink markers and pens, pink stickers, pink journal cards and pink whatever else we want to use for our letter. I think that paint chips are really good to use in colour themed-letters as you can write Mail Tag questions/answers or quotes on them.  If we're going to make a floral, which is super fun, we'll pick out all our floral craft supplies that we're going to use in our letter. After you've gathered all the supplies relating to your theme, ignore all other craft supplies you have remaining.

3. Get crafty!
Time for the fun part! Slap on those stickers, washi and decorations on your stationery. You may choose to do this before or after you write your letter. It's all up to you! Be as creative as you'd like.

4. Put everything together.
Now it's time to assemble your letter and little goodies you have for your penpal (if you have included goodies). You can use any cute ribbon (relating to your theme) or bakers' twine does the job all the time and it's my personal fave for putting letters together. Put it all into your envelope and seal it up very securely as the post can do horrible things to pretty mails. To effectively secure my mails, especially when the envelope I'm using isn't that rigid and cardstock enough to my liking, I seal the flaps with normal glue stick, then I may put either clear tape or washi tape around the edge of the flaps along with clear tape around the edges of the envelope itself (just because I'm OCD like that and because I'd rather be safe than sorry).

Hooray! You're just created your first themed-letter *wink*.

Here are 4 themed-letters I created. From left to right, top to bottom: pink, different hues of green, pink and gold, blue.
themed-letter for snail mail

I got my inspiration mainly from Instagram and some from Pinterest. These are just a few links to my fave themed-letters. I hope they can be of some inspiration to you: 
The main thing to remember when creating a themed-letter is to use only the supplies you've gathered relating to your theme. There might be the urge of using something that's pretty but unrelated to your theme, but it'll be worth it in the end if you just stick to it.